Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Color me happy

Every year, my employer hosts several kids' coloring contests. In February, young artists decorate paper hearts.
Purple feathers, red and pink foils, tiny plush heart pillows and every shade of red media known to kids adorned this year's entries.
There's even a heart-turned-American flag with stars on a field of blue plus requisite red and white stripes. "God Bless America," it proclaims.
Angels, puppies, cut outs of candies, pasta shells and tiny, red crepe paper flowers brightened others.
I had the pleasure of sorting the artworks.
While some focused on candidates' caucuses or slogged through slush in what is the grayest month of the year here, I was knee deep in kids' whimsies.
By the time I finished, my slacks and desk were sprinkled with shimmering gold, silver and pink glitter.
I chose to think of it as fairy dust.
Illustration: creativeartspaceforkids.org

No comments: