Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Remember when...


The Amish believe photographs can capture their souls and refuse to have graven images of themselves.
That may seem outlandish on the surface.
But it's a little easier to understand after pouring over turn-of-the-century photos of my immigrant grandparents with their young brood. And snapshots of friends and family from 20 years ago.
There, frozen in time are the flashings of people -- and the trappings of their time.
And while the pictures didn't trap their souls--perhaps they preserved the next best thing.
Photo: cakesunlimited.net

1 comment:

JeanC said...

My mom sent me two photo albums with family photos, it is really neat to see pictures I'd never seen before of grandparents and their siblings and even the generations before them. I just wish I knew more about some of them :(